How can I obtain a copy of a police report?

The Jackson Police Department has developed policies and procedures regarding the release of reports that are in compliance with both legislative and case law, balancing public disclosure with privacy rights. The public may obtain certain reports under the State of Missouri Sunshine Law. Not all on going or felony investigations are public information. Under Missouri State Statute 610.100, the information available to the public is information from the incident report, which includes date, time, location, names of victims and the nature of the crime or incident. Juvenile information and victim information in sex crimes are not open to the public.

Copies of police reports are generally available within 7 to 10 working days after the incident has been reported. Copies of reports may be obtained at the Police Department Records Section, during normal business hours. (Monday through Friday 8 am to 4 pm) excluding major holidays.

Within the first 30 days of the incident, the only people allowed to obtain a copy of a report are:

  1. People that are directly involved in the incident (named in the report)
  2. Attorneys representing involved parties
  3. Insurance companies

If you would like a copy of the report, fill out a request for report form at the Jackson Police Department (this form may be found in the FORMS area of our webpage). Be prepared to present proper identification when requesting copies of some types of reports. It is always advisable to call ahead to verify that your report is available. Information contained on reports cannot be disseminated over the phone. Please provide as much of the following information as possible:

  • Case number (case numbers are not the same as ticket numbers)
  • Date and time of occurrence
  • Location of occurrence (exact street address or intersection)
  • Type of occurrence (property damage, burglary, vandalism, etc.)
  • Full names of parties involved (reporting party and/or victims)

There is a three-business-day processing period that begins after the request has been received by Jackson Police. Special requests may take longer to complete. If the request cannot be fulfilled in the allotted time, you will be advised of the reason and given a date the information will be available. The request and report is forwarded to the City Attorney's office for review and they make the determination what information can be release. In general, police reports are considered public information. There are exceptions in Missouri Law that allow certain parts of a report to be blacked out, or not accessible to the general public. Copies of these reports are not faxed out or emailed.

Show All Answers

1. How can I file a complaint against an officer?
2. How can I commend an officer?
3. I need to be fingerprinted for employment purposes. Can that be done at your department?
4. Who should I report a crime to?
5. When should I call 911?
6. If I have a problem but it's not an emergency, whom should I call?
7. How can I check to see if there is a registered sex offender living in my area?
8. How can I obtain an ex-parte/Order of Protection?
9. What do I do if a police officer turns on his lights and siren to stop me?
10. I was issued a traffic ticket. Where do I go to pay it?
11. Where are the local courthouses located?
12. Can I request extra patrol in my neighborhood?
13. We will be leaving on vacation. Does the department provide increased patrol around our residence while we're out-of-town?
14. What happens after I file a written report about an incident?
15. How do I obtain a copy of an accident report?
16. How can I obtain a copy of a police report?
17. Do I have to wait 24 hours before I can report a person missing?
18. I reported a crime but the officer has not called me back. What can I expect?
19. I left a message for an officer to call me back but he has not returned my calls. What should I do?
20. I called to report drug information but nothing happened? Why was my information not acted upon?
21. How much can I drink and drive?
22. What can I do about cars and trucks parked in front of my house?