Solid Waste Services
The City of Jackson conducts weekly solid waste pickup for qualified residential customers (single-family, duplex, and zero-lot line condominium dwellings only). View your neighborhood's scheduled pickup day (PDF). This service is funded by City revenue and a nominal monthly fee (coded as TR on your monthly utility bill).
Trash Preparation Guidelines
- Recyclables, including cardboard, will not be collected at the curb. Please deliver all recyclables to the Recycling Center.
- Trash must be bagged and placed curbside by 8 am on collection day. Return trips are not made.
- Maximum of three trash bags (no larger than 33 gallons each and weighing no more than 40 pounds each) are allowed per week for the monthly charge.
- Don't mix yard waste bags with household waste bags or household waste and yard waste in the same bag. Yard waste does not count toward your 3-bag limit and is collected separately.
- Additional household waste bags are allowed, but each extra bag requires an official City trash sticker, available for purchase for $1 each at City Hall, 101 Court Street.
- Only bags should be set out for pickup. Any container holding trash and left at curbside will be thrown away with trash as long as weight is permissible; if weight is excessive, the trash will not be collected.
- Motor oil, tires, or any hazardous waste will not be collected at the curb.
- Paint cans can be collected in household trash if paint is completely dried and can is open. Kitty litter can be used to solidify and dry liquid paint.
- Sharp objects such as needles, broken glass, etc. must be in puncture-proof containers.
- Trash bags are to be set behind the curb at the collection location, not in the street.
Email Public Works or call 573-243-2300.
The City of Jackson conducts limited yard waste pickup for households that are the City's residential solid waste pickup customers (single-family, duplexes, and zero-lot-line condominiums)). Yard waste is collected on the 1st and 3rd full weeks of each month in which there is no altered trash schedule due to holidays (see Calendar of Events).
Yard Waste Preparation Guidelines
- Help prevent street flooding by keeping yard waste and debris out of street
- Yard waste must be stored separately from regular refuse, since it is picked up on a different collection round, by regular pickup truck or a garbage truck
- Yard waste must be in a disposable container with 33 gallon maximum capacity and weigh no more than 40 pounds each filled container
- To be listed for pickup, yard waste should be placed at the curb by 8 a.m. on the regularly scheduled refuse pickup day. Crews note the addresses with yard waste as they make the regular pickups.
- Limbs must be tied in bundles no longer than 5 feet in length, no more than 18 in. in diameter, and weigh no more than 75 pounds each bundle
- Self disposal of yard waste can be done by Jackson residents only (no commercial haulers) at the yard waste bins, located at the Recycling Center, 508 Eastview, during the Recycling Center's hours of operation. Yard waste can not be dropped off after hours
- Yard waste is collected as time allows during each pick - up week. Due to inclement weather or unforeseen circumstances, there may be a delay in yard waste collection. Therefore your yard waste may not get picked up the same day as your regular trash or it may be delayed by a week
Email Public Works or call 573-243-2300.
The City of Jackson Recycling Center is located at 508 Sawyer Lane (formerly Eastview Court). Normal days of operation are Monday through Saturday (excluding City holidays).
Regular Hours (April-October): 8 am to 5 pm (Monday through Saturday)
Winter Hours (November-March): 8 am to 5 pm (Monday through Friday), 9 am to 1 pm (Saturday)
Accepted Recyclables and Preparation Guidelines
- Recyclables are accepted from Jackson citizens and the surrounding area.
- Electronic waste (electronics, appliances) is accepted at the center. There is currently a charge for televisions:
- $30 for 26" or less CRT TVs
- $50 for 27" or greater CRT TVs
- $20 for flat-screen TVs, any size
- $5 for all CRT computer monitors
- $50 for all console/big screen/projection TVs
- Any charges are subject to change without notice
- In general, cardboard, paper, metal, glass jars and bottles, and ONLY Number 1 and Number 2 plastic containers are accepted for recycling.
- Styrofoam is not accepted for recycling.
- Only Number 1 and Number 2 plastic containers are accepted for recycling
- Paper and cardboard must be dry
- Trash bags and grocery bags are not accepted for recycling
- Glass (types of glass not accepted for recycling - drinking glasses, light bulbs, windows/auto glass, ash trays, tempered glass, ceramics, and Pyrex)
- All containers must be rinsed thoroughly prior to drop-off. Labels and caps can be left on.
- Remove items from bags before placing in the appropriate containers at the center.
Email Sanitation or call 573-243-2300.
The City Sanitation Department will pick up certain bulky items by appointment only for Jackson's solid waste customers. Actively-billed residential solid waste locations qualify for one free special pickup per calendar year, subject to certain restrictions (see Special Pickup Rules (PDF)). To check on / request a free special pickup for your service location, complete the online form.
No electronic waste/appliances will be collected in special pickups, including, but not limited to, appliances of ALL TYPES (for example stoves, refrigerators, water heaters, microwaves, and more), televisions, computer monitors, treadmills, and other miscellaneous electronics. Customers can dispose of these items at the Recycling Center for a small fee. Tires also cannot be accepted.
For additional special pickups, fees are based on size and content. There is a minimum charge of $50 that must be pre - paid. To make arrangements for a special pick-up, email Public Works or call 573-243-2300.
Any updates will be posted here as soon as they are scheduled.
For questions regarding Sanitation Department services, please contact Public Works by calling 573-243-2300 or emailing the Sanitation office.